In my academic life, I produce innovative interdisciplinary research focusing on the myth-fuelled tragedies of Athens, ancient and modern performances of epic, and the traditional arts in contemporary theatre-making.
Click on the links below to explore some of my recent publications.
- Greek Tragedy and the Contemporary Actor (with Zachary Dunbar, 2018).
- ‘Unfixing Epic: Homeric Epic and Contemporary Performance’. In Fiona Macintosh, Justine McConnell, Stephen Harrison and Claire Kenward (eds), Epic Performances from the Middle Ages into the Twenty-First Century (OUP, 2018).
- Greek Tragedy, Agonistic Space, and Contemporary Performance. New Theatre Quarterly 34.2 (2018).
- Athens: A Work-in-Progress. Kritika Kultura 30/31 (2018).
- ‘It Happens in Ballads’: Scotland, Utopia and Traditional Song in The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart. In Simon McKerrell and Gary West (eds), Understanding Scotland Musically: Folk, Tradition and Policy (Routledge, 2018).
- Staging a Transforming Great Britain: Tamlane, The Social Turn, and the 2014 Referendum. In Laura Monros-Gaspar (ed.), Re-Thinking Literary Identities: Great Britain, Europe and Beyond (Publicacions De La Universitat De València, 2017).
- Bringing the Wild and the Barbaric into the Urban Space of the Theatre. Programme essay for Knives in Hens (David Harrower, dir. Yael Farber) at The Donmar Warehouse (2017).
- Stephe Harrop on Sherry, a Caravan and a Scottish Bog, in conversation with Alys Torrance of Story Jam (2016)
- Eating Ovid: An Experiment in Staging Shakespeare’s Classical Sources, Women’s Classical Committee UK blog (2016)
- Grounded, Heracles and the Gorgon’s Gaze, Arion 23.1 (2015)
- Fat Man and Orpheus (review), Didaskalia 12.10 (2015)
- Ercles’ Vein: Heracles as Bottom in Ted Hughes’ Alcestis , Classical Receptions Journal 6.3 (2014) [Please note: this is a draft version of the article, and may differ slightly from the final published text.]
- Speech, Silence and Epic Performance: Alice Oswald’s Memorial, New Voices in Classical Reception Studies 8 (2013).
- The Paper Cinema’s Odyssey and The Factory, The Odyssey (review), Didaskalia 10.11 (2013)
- An Introduction to the Tragic Body, APGRD website (2012)
- Theorising Performance: Greek Drama, Cultural HIstory and Critical Practice (with Edith Hall, 2010)
- Poetic Language and Corporeality in Translations of Greek Tragedy, New Theatre Quarterly 24.1 (with David Wiles, 2008)